Exploring Unfurnished vs. Furnished Units: A Guide to Manila Rental Choices
Date: November 21, 2023
Renting a place in the vibrant city of Manila is not just about finding a roof over your head; it's about finding a home that suits your lifestyle and budget. One crucial decision that tenants often face is whether to go for a furnished or unfurnished unit. Let's dive into the details to help you make an informed choice.
1. Cost Considerations:
- Unfurnished: Non-furnished rentals are generally more budget-friendly. Opting for an unfurnished apartment, especially for a long-term lease, can save you a significant amount. Imagine having an extra budget of P216,000 over a two-year lease to personalize your space. This option not only allows for cost savings but also provides the flexibility to decorate your home according to your taste.
- Furnished: On the other hand, furnished units come at a premium. The monthly difference can range from ₱10,000 to ₱15,000. This cost is justified by the convenience of having all the essentials ready, saving you from the hassle of moving furniture. If you're planning a shorter stay and value convenience, a furnished unit may be the way to go.
2. Fully Furnished vs. Semi-Furnished:
- Fully Furnished: These units are a complete package, including everything from beds and sofas to appliances and pre-installed internet connections. Ideal for those seeking a hassle-free move and a ready-to-live environment. Fully furnished units are perfect for expatriates, busy professionals, or anyone who prefers a turnkey living space.
- Semi-Furnished: A bit more ambiguous, semi-furnished units may include essential items like beds, refrigerators, and stoves. However, specifics can vary, so it's crucial to ask your landlord about the inclusions, such as air-conditioning, water heaters, and other amenities. Semi-furnished units offer a middle ground, allowing you to bring in some personal touches without the hassle of furnishing the entire space.
3. Developer's Delivery State:
- Developers often hand over units in their unfurnished state. When you rent an unfurnished condo unit, you get it as the developer intended, with basic features like floorings, kitchen cabinets, and painted walls. This gives you a clean slate to design your living space according to your preferences.
4. The Importance of Clarification:
- Terminology like "semi-furnished" can be vague. To avoid surprises, communicate with your landlord and inquire about the specifics of what is included. Does it come with air-conditioning? Are appliances provided? Knowing these details will help you plan accordingly and avoid unexpected expenses.
5. Making a Smart Investment:
- Whether you're a long-term resident or just passing through, the choice between furnished and unfurnished depends on your needs and lifestyle. Furnished units offer convenience, while unfurnished units provide a blank canvas for personalization. Consider the duration of your stay, your budget, and your preferences before making a decision.
Finding the perfect rental in Manila involves weighing the pros and cons of furnished and unfurnished options. Consider your budget, the duration of your stay, and your preferences before making a decision. Manila's diverse rental landscape ensures there's a home tailored to every tenant's unique needs.